+ inload: Iron Skulls – the Legio Metalica +

+ Glutton for punishment – Legio Metalica, the Iron Skulls +

+ Besides Master of PuppetsLars Ulrich arguing with people about downloading music, Enter Sandman, and St Anger being rubbish are about the extent of my knowledge of the band. Whisper it low, but I've always been more into Indie than Heavy Metal (why's there no Legio Orange Juice?), so I apologise in advance that some of the many, many (many) puns about Metallica are likely to pass me by. +

+ The Iron Skulls, or Legio Metalica – losing an L to make this definitely not copyright infringing, right? – are a Titan Legion based on a planet that has had its surface, mantle and core entirely replaced with heavy metal to be closer to the Machine God (even I get that one), and can upgrade their Titans with Auditory Barrage wargear – but it's not the pleasingly cheesy in-jokes that have attracted me to the Legio, but the fact that they walked on Armageddon. +

+ Yes, the Ashes of Armageddon [+noosphericexloadlink embedded+] rolls on, and I'm getting some Titans painted up to use for both Epic: Legions Imperialis and Adeptus Titanicus. I've booked a room for Beachhead 2025, an event down in Bournemouth next year, and – assuming I can get a ticket – am aiming to be taking this maniple to the Maximal Fire Adeptus Titanicus event there. +

+++

+ Hero of the Day +

+ Currently, my maniple consists of an assembled Warlord, one still on sprues, and a handful of Reavers lurking in the garage awaiting paint. I've no illusion that I'll be vying for the top tables of the event, so I'm focussing very much on building and painting the models I want to play with. +

+ Picking a theme is very easy – they'll be painted up as part of the large contingent of the Legio that was on Armageddon during the Second War. Grizzled veterans of the Battle Companies might well recognise Old Three Skulls, the Titan from the studio Blood Angel army back in the 90s. +

 

+ Warlord number 2 will be an homage to this one – while the pose, head and Gatling Blaster and Fist combo should be pretty easy to emulate, I'll have to think about how to represent the top guns. +

+ Warlord number 1 will dive into the background a bit more, so Princeps Kurtiz Mannheim will stide into battle in his Titan Steel Hammer, or Malleo Chalybis. +

+ With these as the basis, I'll then fill the points with Reavers inspired by Strike Force Damacles [sic] from White Dwarf 184. With 1,950pts to fill, there should be plenty of room for cool stuff – and having seen the following picture again, perhaps I might even stretch to some Knights... +

+ Glorious (if slightly eye-searing) 90s-era paint schemes +

+ As some additional flourishes, I'm hoping to add some nameplates from BattleBuilder [+noosphericexloadlink embedded+] fairly soon – and perhaps this is the year I'll be able to pester a sculptor into creating the inexplicably absent long-faced variant of the Reaver head, visible on the two on the left in the pict-capture above. +

+++

+ The House Titan Jack Built +

+ As you've seen at the top of the inload, Malleo Chalybis is built and painting is underway. The construction was straightforward (I've raved about how much I love putting the Titanicus miniatures together before [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+]. +

+ It's been a while since I've built and painted Warlords (for my own Legio Sumer-Nikator). Since this Maniple might pull double duty as an opposing force for my existing force, I thought I'd try to make them as different as possible. Pictured above are some more bits from Battle Bling [+noosphericexloadlink embedded+] – some carapace Gatling Blasters and Loyal Armour Plates. +




+ Since I haven't decided on armament just yet, I'll build and paint a few sets to try out in the lead up, to see what I like playing with. You'll note the primed exoskeleton in the pictures above, too – unlike my previous Titans, which were assembled completely before being painted, I thought I'd experiment with painting the armour plates separate from the skeletal chassis. +


+ Post-spray –  I used Halford's camo black – you can see the Titan taking shape. Note the reposing of the feet, which is a variation of what I explained in this inload [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+] +


+ I then dry-fitted the plates and checked the magnetisation using some donor bits and bobs from Legio Sumer-Nikator. +


+ ...and so we're now heading on to painting. I'm very pleased with how the Steel Hammer is looking; particularly around the posing. I think the sense of weight and movement really works – particularly from the side. +


+ The event is larger than I initially thought, at 1,950pts – I'll have to sit down and work things through. In the meantime, here're a few more pictures of the Warlord. +






1 comment:

Suber said...

The pose is imposing, it really looks awesome!!