+ inload: Combined Arms +

+ To war! +
The Defenders of Nocturne, Salamanders 2nd Company, prepare to march.

[+SCRAPHUNTERRORABORT+] This is the second exloading of this inload, as I accidentally overwrote it with a draft. Much cursing abounds! Anyway... +

+++

+ Into the fires of battle +

+ As you can see, progress continues apace on the Epic-scale Ashes of Armageddon force. The infantry are ticking along nicely, with five sprues (of six) being nearly finished. They need their green highlighting and tactical/Legion markings to be added, but are otherwise ready for the pot. +

+ The pot? Yes, I'm storing the painted models in a spray can lid [+vizref: below+] until I have them all done. This will minimise any colour variation between batches, and also allow me to introduce some intentional variation. The last batch, for example, had flame markings in place of the Salamanders symbol on the right shoulder. The next batch will have the studs on the left shoulder removed, and the models will have both Tactical and cult markings painted on. +

The pot of painted minis

+++

+ ...And since I did overwrite the inload, I've been able to work on the aforementioned next batch and get the highlighting and markings all polished off:


+ A bit glarey, but hopefully you can see both the Chapter symbol and the flame markings on these Tactical Marines. The chap with the crest is a veteran, intended to go alongside the command stand. +


+ And speaking of Veterans, here are the Firedrakes, members of the Salamanders' First Company. Again, I've added Chapter and cult markings on the pauldrons, and even managed to squeeze on tiny Promethean Cult squares on the tilt shields of the sergeants. Clearly sleep deprivation is a thing. +

+++

+ Combined arms +

+ But it's not all about Space Marines. In the picture below you can see the Salamanders' allies: a Steel Legion Leman Russ battle tank Company, an Imperial Navy Thunderbolt, and a Knight. +


+ Oh – and also a Dreadnought. Nice as the Contemptor Dreadnoughts are, for thematic reasons (and because I love a box dread) I'd prefer to use the Epic: 40,000 era models. +


+ So a bit of a plea – if you've got any of these lurking in your bits box and would sell or trade them with me, let me know in the comments or on the Facebook group, please. +

+++

+ Colour Forge Sprays +

+ Having enjoyed success with the Salamander Green spray, I decided to try out some others. The process I'm using is to prime with Halford's camo brown (see below, left), then spray the Colour Forge paint on from an angle, leaving it in the recesses (see below, front right). +


+ Seems to work quite nicely to get colour down quickly and establish some basic form through zenithal shading – and at this scale, that essentially leaves picking out some details. +

+ The Knight is an experiment – as you can see further above, I've used gold spray for that. The idea is to then paint the plates, leaving the gold just on the trim – if this proves successful, I'll try the same on my Legio Metalica Titan. +


+ I also had a test with 'Desert Sand' at 40k scale, on these Steel Legion. A very acceptable effect, I think you'll agree. +

+++







No comments: