+ inload: Sweep and clear +

+ Scryomancy: Campaign preparation +

+ Long WIP Imperial psykers +

+ Phew, the Season of Fire is over; we can start looking forward to cooler nights. +

+ Y'know that horrible feeling when you get enthused but then can't find the right box – or find your worktop cluttered up? Well, with a few projects on the boil, I decided I'd spend a little time over the weekend reorganising boxes and consolidating things. +

+ Kill team and more ready to paint. +

+ Amongst them were my Catachans. A Kill Team of the Ever-Ready 634th have been completed for a while, and they got hurriedly packed into a transport box, while other small groups were packed away in unrelated boxes at various stages of assembly, where they have lurked. +

+ It was the work of moments to gather them all together and shift about various mini-projects to keep them in the right boxes. I've now got a box of small projects, or those in their early stages – Kroot, Catachans and Alaitoc; a dedicated War of the False Primarch box, and a box for Armageddon. +


+ WIP classics +

+ More importantly, I was also able to make some progress. The figures – a mix of eBay buys and the thoughtful and generous nature of PCRC stablemate Omricon – were cleaned up (and where necessary) repaired, had their weapons drilled, were glued into slottabases, had those bases textured, and finally were primed with Halford's Camo Green. +

+  These are all very small steps, but it's surprising how little tasks like this can make your hobby more enjoyable. When the muse comes calling, rather than having to hunt around only to find unprepared figures (or worse, not find them!), I now have properly organised boxes that can be pulled out to paint. When time's short, such preparation can make all the difference. +

+++

+ ...and speaking of planning, with a few projects to juggle, I thought I'd set down some thoughts to make sure I've got things clear in my head. +

+ The War of the False Primarch +

+ This is still rumbling on. This project has got to maturity, and I'm giving myself a bit of breathing room before returning for the concluding part – in short, enjoying the fruits of our collective labours! You can, of course, continue posting material with the #somethingsarebestleftforgotten tag for me to find. We'll be kicking back off with a bang: Bob Hunk and I have a battle in the planning for the medium term, with the Flesh Eaters fighting the False Primarch himself – and who knows, perhaps you'll find one last Index Apocrypha appearing... +

+++

+ The Ashes of Armageddon +

+ This is a new project focussing on the Second War for Armageddon. Do go check it out, and if you'd like to get involved in Ghazghkull's invasion of the hiveworld – whether attacking or defending – you're very welcome. The Discord discussion can be found here [+noosphericexloadlink embedded+]. +

+ Whitetusk's Howlas are the first force to come under the spotlight on Armageddon – will yours be next? +

+ Running these projects is a lot of fun, and is a great excuse to add to or revisit older projects. One such is my Steel Legion – used once for a campaign weekend, and left – not quite finished – languishing in a box for a shameful length of time. +

+ The force will thus get a bit of spit and polish to be redeployed to Armageddon. +


+ One reason that I find armies linger unloved in storage is that they're at that horrible 'not-quite-finished' stage. Such was the fate of this army, which was rushed to get table ready. The bases were patchy, the details unfinished, and just looking at them seemed exhausting. +

+ Spool on a few years and with an Armageddon-themed project looming, this 'bridesmaid' project has a chance to shine – and the gap means that I'm now effectively looking at a brand new project that's already had all the boring base-painting done, and is ready for the fun stuff. +

+ What a change! Rather than looking at everything that I disliked, I'm suddenly rediscovering the bits I was proud of, like the faces on the psykers and the conversions of the extra sergeants. +

+ Rebasing in progress +

There are about seventy figures in the army, and stage 1 was rebasing. As you can see above, the patchy originals have been covered with a layer of texture medium and sand. Once dry, these will be painted to match my Salamanders [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+] – in fact, to match everything I have planned for the Armageddon campaign. +

+ After that, I'm planning to work over the white coats as they redeploy from a frigid icy world to serve on the planet of their birth – Armageddon – and then we'll move on to the details. 

+++

+ The background +

+ I really enjoy running these collective projects. It's rewarding to collaborate on something that's far too big for one hobbyist to complete – and of course it's nice to be able to provide a place to showcase work that you admire. +

+ The challenge is to make it inviting to everyone – providing enough structure and feedback to be engaging, while leaving it open-ended enough that contributors feel free to explore. +

+ While I've posted up a couple of posts explaining the project, I always feel these are a bit dry – better to show than tell, I always think. To that end, I've already posted up a sample article for the orks, using my warband – Whitetusk's Howlas – as an example. +

+ I'm going to do the same with these Steel Legionnaires – so keep an eye on The Ashes of Armageddon blog. +

+ Of course, if you've got an idea for an article, let me know! +

+++

+ Death in Paradise XXII +

+ ...and – phew! – a project I'm not curating. Long-time droog Warmtamale has resurrected the long-dormant PCRC campaigns, so while this is a private one, please do feel free to follow along on the blog he's set up. +

+ I'll be using DiP22 to give me the boost to get those Kroot expanded from a Kill Team to a skirmish force, and it's also very tempting to use it to get a foothold on my Alaitoc Eldar. +

+++




No comments: