+ inload: Painting Salamanders green +

+ In The Dust Of Armageddon +

+ Feeling a bit agitated over the weekend, so took it out on this chap, a Salamanders marine who's been waiting patiently for paint. While not finished, he's coming along quite nicely, so thought I'd show him off to garner some ideas and thoughts. +

+ This particular marine has had an odd history of paint, having been undercoated with Halford’s brown and painted with olive green oils; but he has since been left to dry/oxidise, then reprimed with GW’s wraith one spray, a sort of warm off-white. Alas, the can was down to its dregs, so it was a rather patchy and necessarily zenithal coat – that is, largely limited to a top-down spritz. +

+ As a test model, I’m not too fussed about this, as I’m happy to spend a bit more time on him. For future models, I’ll want to streamline the process, so will start from a clean and even base of wraithbone or white. +

+++

+ Painting Salamanders Chapter green +


+ Thematically, the background for this model, and any little force that might emerge from it, is going to be set during the Second Armageddon War (M41.941–943). Not only does this have fond memories for me – being the then-current GW 'thing' as I was growing up – but I've also already got a Steel Legion force and the Blood Angels Third Company, which are likewise eminently suitable for the period. Moreover, plenty of ork opponents! +

+ I had toyed with a Horus Heresy period – you can read about this here [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+], but I think I'm more likely to be using these in 40k. They can also do double-duty in the PCRC's Badab War Kill Team games [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+]. It also allows me a pretty full range of armour marks, as Salamanders are famed for their skill with a hammer and anvil, and make their own armour. +




+ This Salamander is clad in the remnants of in a suitably patchwork Heresy suit. While the bulk is production Mark V, there's a Mark II power plant, Mark III vambrace (perhaps some honorific or personalised bit) and a left arm that's more modern – perhaps Mark VII. +

+ Painting the green + 

1_ The green starts as a flat coat of Warpstone Glow – I need to apply around three coats to get coverage over the patchy undercoat. 

2_ This was then washed with Thraka Green.

3_ Once dry, this was re-layered in areas of highlight with Warpstone Glow. The paint doesn't have great coverage, but that actually serves to make a smoother blend.

4_ Highlights were then blended in on areas near the light source using an even mix of Warpstone Glow and Moot Green.

5_Once dry, a wash of Drakenhof Nightshade was applied all over. This blue wash serves to mute the yellow tinge of the Moot Green a bit, and help blend things in.

6_ Once dry, sharper highlights were applied with a ~1:3 Warpstone Glow and Moot Green mix, and followed up with smaller point highlights of the same mix with a little white added.

+ Painting the grey +

+ This isn't yet finished, but since it was very simple, I thought I'd record the first stages here. It's simply Army Painter Dark Stone for the soft joints, shoulder pads and details, washed over with Nuln Oil. +


+ The holster and pouches were a later addition – he looked a little wasp-waisted – which is why they've just got a Halfords grey undercoat. +




+++

+ The heraldry and finishing will take quite a bit of research (and creativity!), I think, but I'm looking forward to populating those big flat plates with various markings. If you've got a favourite Company that you'd like to see me tackle, or have a lore snippet that you think might be fun to see included or nodded to, please do let me know. +


+ In closing, I'll just note that I'm rather pleased with the eye lenses. This is something I toyed with on the lights on my Catachan gun truck, which I painted to look like glass – that is, with greys. +

+ I thought this might suit the Salamanders and help give a 'calm and collected' look to the marines, while also not fighting too much with any bright orange and yellow markings. +

+ I've still not quite decided how I'm going to tackle the 'glowing red eyes' thing, and thought it'd be a fun little detail to have that glow emerging from otherwise clear lenses; perhaps as a bright ember in the very centre. I'll play around a bit more to see how that works; but I reserve the right to switch if it looks a bit duff! +

+++

No comments: