+ inload: On the road to Coldforge +

+ C-Day +11 +



+ ███ ██████ █████ ███ ███ ████████ ██████ █ ██ ██ ██ ██ █████ ██████ █████ ████ ███ █ █████████████ ██████████████ ██ █ █████ ████ ███████ ██████ █████ +

+ The #warzonecoldforge Challenge Event – details here [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+] is into its (perhaps significant) 11th day, and over on Instagram you'll see some lovely submissions shaping up. +

+ While I've been concentrating on Kroot, I've also found that the Challenge Events are good to periodically reinvigorate my various War of the False Primarch projects. One of the nice things about this wide-ranging project (for the uninitiated, it's a sort of community-driven modern Badab War) is that there are literally hundreds of avenues to follow, with a lot of freedom in interpretation. I wanted my contribution to Coldforge to reflect this, and so – while things remain open – I wanted to bring in a variety of different models. +

+++

+ Work in progress +

+ While the War of the False Primarch involves lots of Space Marines, the key to me is the idea of an Imperial civil war – that is, involving all parts of the Imperium. To that end, I knew I wanted to include three differents 'arms' of the Imperial forces. +

+ For much the same reason, I wanted to make sure that the underlying silhouettes would be equally at home on either side. The War of the False Primarch digs into the futility and self-defeating nature of the Imperium of Mankind, so I thought it would help hit home if they're not visually 'goodies' or 'baddies'. +

+ With these ideas in mind, I decided I'd include a Space Marine, a combatant human, and a non-combatant. The events are also a good excuse to dig through the Cupboard of Shame Opportunity and bring forth some neglected models... +


+ Pictured here are a scribe, a woman with an autogun and a space marine (and a kroot, but you can ignore him; I was just enthused about having finished painting them!). Shown here unpainted, I think this gets across the point that they could equally well be Orthodox military as Partisan (that is, supporting the High Lords of Terra or the 'Primarch'). +

+ While I've made the decision that the marine will be a Void Baron – there's a decided paucity of this awesome Chapter – I haven't yet decided on the precise nature of the other two. Again, that's one of the things I find so freeing about the project. The scribe, for example, could be painted in rust orange as a Mechanicus factotum, native to Coldforge; in deep green as a Navigatorial aide from House Methuselahn; or perhaps a Chapter serf – and even here, it'd be as easy for him to be an unwilling captive from the Orthodox Death Eagles as it would be for him to be a recovered servant of the Partisan Storm Tyrants. +

+++

+ Besides the figures themselves, I also used the excuse to paint up this little signpost. Scatter terrain? Objective? Just a cool Easter Egg addition for games set on Purefinder Chanterwick? Likely all of these things and more. +


+ ... and because I think it's rather expected of someone organising the challenge to pull their finger out a bit, I also cracked on with the Silver Stars. +


+ There are a number of the ambiguous pseudolegion in a state of mid-painting, and with their Index: Apocrypha* on the near-horizon, I wanted to make sure I had some new models to showcase. +

+ This chap needs his markings to be added, his weapons painted, and his base completed. +

+++

* No definitive Index Astartes for this lot!



No comments: