+ inload: By the blade of an ally +


+ One last push, and the first Word Bearers for Betrayal at Calth will be ready – just basing and Legion markings to go. However, I'm going to try and do those all in one fell swoop, to ensure some consistency. For the moment, then, this is as far as they'll go – I'll move on to building some new ones now. +

+ Kurtha Sedd, of the Third Hand +



+ I wanted to do a brown leather cloak, then decided a patterned interior lining would look nice. It needs a little polishing, but I thought a Mesopotamian fishscale pattern might be fun. It suggests a slightly different cultural touchstone to those normally associated with the Word Bearers (and Astartes in general); and as a little added touch, suggests the sea, and the underworld. + 


+ The rear of the cloak was painted as battered leather – lots of browns, stippling and washes. +


+ The lower leg shows a good example of the Word Bearer's distinctive inlaid constellation patterns. Fun to paint! I've used a complementary orange for the plasma pistol glow so that it draws the eye to the centre of the figure, but doesn't completely draw attention away from the focal point of the head.  +

+++

+ Kimon of the Inscribed +



+ This figure was a test colour scheme, and came out much brighter than the others – more akin to my Blood Angels. I've gone back and used some glazes to match him better to his brothers. Hi loincloth was painted with the same technique and colours as Sedd's leather cloak. +


+ Simple rear view, showing the slight tweaks to the Primaris armour. I sometimes fill in the curve left by trimming away the 'ankle ball', but here I quite like the fact it echoes the Word Bearer's inscribed markings. You'll note I incorporate it into a lot of these figure's freehand. +

+++

Mugla of the Blasted Cedar +


+ Sometime you have a model you like; sometimes a model grows on you. I wasn't too fussed about this figure when I'd built him, but the eyes and blade came out really well to give him a really mean appearance – happy accidents, I guess. +


+ Another rear shot. Not too interesting, these buttplates, so this is the last one of the inload. +

+ Mekholta Dmalachi, Twiceborn of the Blasted Cedar +



+ An older figure, this chap has received some additional glazing (the original highlighting was verging on pink) to fit him nicely alongside the others. +

+++

+ Bac Vorkar of the Third Hand +



+ This Legionary has appeared before on the blog, but here you can see the transfer applied. I'm... not convinced. It looks so utterly at odds with the rest of the scheme, I think I'll remove it and freehand the markings. +

+++

+ Vannis Gen of the Inscribed +



+ Another figure that has received only minor tweaks, you can see that the ankle bits have been filled in on this figure; giving me the space to try some different patterns. +

3 comments:

leadmess said...

those look great, that leather cape is particularly fantastic.

Castigator (Gary) said...

Oh man, you're really nailing these, they're so full of character.
The leather looks great and I hope I can achieve something similar when I finally put brush to my Delaque gang....any tips or recipe on how you achieved the effect wouldn't go amiss ;-)

KrautScientist said...

These are coming out so well! I love how they still seem regimented and uniform enough to read as Horus Heresy era Marines that are still at the beginning of their corruption, yet also sport various traits that hint at something much more sinister -- including full-on possession, in Brother Dmalachi's case.

The one thing that doesn't quite click for me is the scale pattern on the lining of Kurtha Sedd's cloak: It does recall a roof pan pattern (probably due to the colour), and there's also the fact that scale patterns are so closely tied to the Alpha Legion from a heraldics standpoint -- but chances are you'll still be able to convince me...

Regarding the legion badge, I think you'd have more success with the Word Bearers heraldry that comes with the new 2019 Chaos Space Marines' decal sheet: It has a nicely stripped down Word Bearers icon that I think would work really well here. It's missing the book, true, but the overly busy emblem is arguably why the design doesn't quite work here.

Anyway, keep up the fantastic work! This remains one of my absolute favourite blogs!

All the best,

KS