+ inload: Profugon Iratus gets a refit +
+ 'Done is better than perfect' is a phrase I trot out every so often – hackneyed or not, I think there's a lot of truth in getting models completed rather than hemming and hawwing about the last touches. Doing your best is definitely admirable, but not if it's getting in the way of a sense of satisfaction in a job well done. This is particularly apposite for miniatures in acrylics, as the medium's perfect to come back and update to update, tweak, improve or fix. +
+ Profugon Iratus back in the workshop +
And that's exactly what I've done here, replacing an old conversion with a 3D printed part. I was in two minds about the conversion – a combination of a Warlord head top with the bottom of a 40-scale Knight:
The new part is a 3D print of a classic Reaver head that GW have clearly lost the STC for. With a new Reaver kit now out, complete with a new plastic head, I was hoping to see their take on the classic long-snouted look, but – alas – it's another minor variant on the existing ones.
Fortunately the community have come to the rescue, with a series of beautiful variants that have been variously available from Cults3D, Battle Bling and currently, Vanguard Miniatures [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+]. This particular version, with the wonderfully over-the-top chainsaw face close combat attachment, is called the 'Champion'.
I've been painting this up while waiting for washes to dry on my Tempestus Maniple – I find the relief of actually completing something really helps when you're stuck into a long slog.
The white and orange scheme with black banners denotes he's (probably) a Loyalist – the Traitor contingent has orange and black armour, with white banners.
Here are some more glamour shots of the finished model. The variant armour is by the multi-talented (and very nice chap) @argo_jasonm, who you can – and should! – follow on Instagram.
Once dry, I simply popped off the old head and glued the new one in place:
... and he's all ready to walk in the service of the Emperor. Little updates like this can make all the difference. While I was pleased with the paintjob on the original, since these conversion bits have become available, I've been tempted to replace my conversion with one. The conversion was my version of the original – but I think the 3D sculpt beats mine into a cocked hat.
+++











No comments:
Post a Comment
+ submission exloadform: inload [comments] herein +