+ inload: Painting for The Corsair Gambit +

+ The Corsair Gambit +

+ Vanguard Detachment of Outriders +

+ I'm taking my Salamanders down to take part in the investigation and retrieval of critical archeotech from the planet Nabed-Paleae in Maximal Fire's Corsair Gambit event (you can inload the event pack here [+noosphericexloadlink embedded+]) – so I thought I'd track my progress subroutines from 'confident/plenty of time' to 'weeping at 4am'. +

+ Here's where the 1,500pt army currently stands; I have 10 days to get it all up to scratch. If you'd like the painting method, the  colours and process are detailed in this inload [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+]. +

+ MIA +

+ The picture above shows the vast majority of the army. Missing here are:
  • One additional stand of Terminators
  • Two stands of Assault Marines
  • A proper base for the Thunderhawk
  • Three objectives – the are optional, so a bit of a stretch goal.
+ The remaining infantry are at the same stage as the Thunderhawk – primed brown and with a zenithal spray of Colour Forge's Salamander green. I've also got their bases all complete – so they can be stuck on quickly once they're painted. +

+++

+ What needs painting? +

+ Bar the Thunderhawk, which is at the earlier sprayed-green stage, everything has had the black parts picked out. My plan is to tackle an in-game Detachment at a time, which means I have the following to do. From left to right in the picture above:
  • Air Support: Thunderhawk Gunship
  • Support: Four Dreadnoughts
  • Support: Four Dreadnoughts
  • Bastion: Four Tarantulas
  • Transport: Five Rhinos
  • Transport: Eight Rhinos
  • Battle Tank: Nine Predators
  • Transport: Five Rhinos (as three are already complete).
+ That's a Detachment a day, with two days for overrun and quickly polish off the extras. It seems doable – if rather more snug than I'd intended! Some, like the Dreadnoughts and additional Assault marines, will be much quicker than others, and I'm hoping transfers might make the vehicles a bit more swift. +

+ Anyway, that's the plan – wish me luck! +

+++

+ Outriders +

+ This was the most recent detachment to get worked up from a similar green-and-black stage. Painted on a spare bit of sprue and then glued onto pre-prepped bases, they took around two hours. +


+ Built for The Ashes of Armageddon mini-game I'm working on, rules for the outriders in the Horus Heresy era are in the latest expansion for Legions Imperialis, The Great Slaughter. Since these bikers had hung around unpainted since (yikes) 2014, I felt their time had come. +


+ Quick and simple to paint, I adapted the process in the linked inload above for them. The models are a mix of Space Marine 2nd edition plastics and the metal ones released for Epic: Armageddon. I like the variety this creates, and having some of the old plastics will help to blur the gaps between these and any new of the new ones I might add in the future. +


+ You'll spot a couple of Attack Bikes in here – these won't have any in-game effect for Epic: Legions Imperialis, but will allow them to pull double duty for any other Epic games. Besides, they look nice, which is the best reason for ever painting models! +


+ As with the infantry, I varied the markings on the shoulders a little, with the Legion/Chapter badge mostly on the right pauldron, but sometimes on the left and sometimes supplemented by flame markings. +

+ Pure uniformity can look great, but much as I like personality at 40k scale, I think my Marines deserve their personal heraldry at Epic scale. It's a (literally) little thing, but I hope it makes the army as a whole feel more grounded, and give a sense that these are individual soldiers, not tokens. +



+ The infantry have been completed for a while – I've been resting on my laurels a bit with them. It's nice to lay them out, and I'm really looking forward to getting some games in with them. +

+++



No comments: